10 Interesting Cat Facts
- The first year of a cat’s life equals (in terms of development) the first 15 years of a human life. After its second year, a cat is 25 in human years. After that, each year of a cat’s life is equal to about 7 human years.
- The favorite breed of cat registered with the Cat Fanciers’ Association is the Persian.
- The hearing of the average cat is at least five times keener than that of a human adult. Cats can rotate their ears 180 degrees.
- The largest breed of cat is the Ragdoll; the males weigh in at around 20 pounds.
- Domestic cats spend about 70 percent of the day sleeping and 15 percent of the day grooming.
- A cat cannot see directly under its nose, which is why it may have a hard time finding tiny treats on the floor.
- The color of a Himalayan’s points is heat-related — cooler spots appear darker.
- Most cats have no eyelashes.
- Cats have five toes on each front paw, but only four on the back ones. It’s not all that uncommon, though, for cats to have extra toes. The cat with the most toes known had 32, eight on each paw!
- Superstition says that if you dream about a white cat, good luck will follow.
reprinted from Cat Chow.com