Many people have turned to making dog food at home instead of buying the store brands. It’s much healthier for your dog and you get to pick everything that you put in it. Recipes are in abundant supply, so here are a few tips on what to do.
1. The most important tip of all is that it’s much easier than you think! You’ll see for yourself by the time you have finished this quick article.
2. Dogs need lots of protein, so be sure that your recipe has enough. Great sources of protein include beef, fish, chicken, turkey, and spinach.
3. Vegetables for vitamins and carbs are necessary in a dog’s diet as well, so make sure you include some. Carrots, peas, celery, and cucumber work great!
4. A whole grain source, such as brown rice, is another good ingredient for making dog food at home. It’s natural, wholesome, and a great compliment for any recipe.
5. Keep it super simple. Whole foods are best, so stick to the ones you are familiar with. And always use fresh, nutritious ingredients.
6. Be careful that you don’t use processed foods, junk food, sugary snacks, salted ingredients, chocolate, grapes, raisins, onions, avocados, or dairy products. They are bad for dogs, and some are even toxic.
7. Raw foods can be dangerous for dogs because they can contain bacteria, so it’s always best to cook your dog’s meals.
8. There are plentiful sources of great recipes for making dog food at home and your dog will truly love you for all the great meals you make for him!