Ivermectin Poisoning from Parasite Prevention Drugs in Dogs

December 28, 2009

This toxic reaction occurs especially in dogs that are genetically hypersensitive to ivermectin, an anti-parasite medication most commonly used for heartworm prevention, or to treat ear and hair mites, which can lead to mange. Ivermectin prevents or kills parasites by causing neurological damage to the parasite, resulting in paralysis and death for the parasite. But dogs genetically sensitive to the medication have an anomaly that allows the ivermectin to pass the dog’s blood-brain barrier and into its central nervous system, which can be lethal for the animal.

A Solution for Mange that Really Works

May 11, 2009

I have a dog that had a terrible case of demodectic mange. He had large bald patches on both sides of his body and his feet were red and inflamed. He itched terribly. We tried Ivermectin at first and it worked, but the suggested dosage is akin to giving your dog a heartworm pill every day. Probably pretty rough on his liver eventually.